Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Sizzlin' in Texas


Well sure enough, the weather people say we're in for the hottest temps of the year this week. Lucky us huh? 100+ with the heat index and no relief in sight. Looks like we'll have to spend all day at the pool or close all of the blinds and stay cool inside. I dunno what happened. I used to LOVE these really hot days, but somehow in the past 5 or so years I can't tolerate it like I used to. Don't say it!!! (I know I'm getting older)....sigh....
OK, so today I decided to start another doll project. This one was inspired by a fellow doll maker and friend of mine named Dixie. She makes wonderful Izannah Walker type dolls and is currently working on creating a replica of an original antique "Izzy" doll pattern now. I envy her as she was able to actually hold a real one from a doll shop near where she lives. You can read about it on her blog. Myself, I've only seen one through a glass case in KC at the Toy & Miniature Museum of Kansas City, but it was the famous Miss Mary doll (photo on the left) complete with her trunk of delights and she was magnificent!!!! Back to what I'm starting - she will be a cloth Hitty doll. Very small in scale of what I normally create, so the challenge will be in the up close, intricate details of her body, face and clothing. I'm up for it, but not sure how she'll end up. This pattern is supposed to be an exact scale of an original wooden Hitty. (barely over 6") It is available here if you are interested: Make Your Own Fabric Hitty.
by Sara Degroat Cole.

3 comments:

Dixie Redmond said...

Oooh. I just finished reading the Hitty book. I can't wait to see what your doll is like. Thanks for the plug, btw.

Greeneyez2 said...

No problem Dixie. I can't wait to see what she's like too!
(fingers crossed)
-g

Blondie ~ Vintage Primitives said...

Greenie
I have just tagged you to receive a Nice Matters award - come to my blog, pick it up and pass it on to at least 5 but no more than 7 others.
Thank you for being more than nice to me when it really mattered! Arms around you, praying for you daily.
blondie